The West Lancashire Locomotive Trust
The Trust is responsible for the preservation, restoration and operation of the following locomotives in addition to Kerr Stuart Joffre Loco 2405
It is a registered chartity (registration number 1091983) and relies entirely on donations from the public to enable it to carry out the restoration work required on these locomotives
All locomotives are normally based at the West Lancashire Light Railway, whose web site has full details of the Trusts Locomotives, Operating days and events, please see www.westlancs.org
'IRISH MAIL' - Hunslet 0-4-0ST - Ex Dinorwic Quarries, Llanberis, North Wales
A fairly standard design of locomotive built by the Hunslet Engine Comapny of Leeds in 1903, for Dinorwic Slate Quarries, Llanberis, North Wales. The loco worked all its life at Dinorwic, having been brought down to the workshops for overhaul in 1956, but the work was never carried out. The chassis was lying in the works yard until being purchased at aucton in 1969. Restoration took place over a period of 10 years, and since then the locomotive has been a mainstay of the locomotive fleet at the West Lancs Light Railway.
The one difference between 'Irish Mail' and many of its quarry sisters is that it was fitted with a cab when delivered, unlike many of the other hunslets, which have had cabs added in preservation.
this locomotive is in Full Working Order
'CLWYD' - Ruston & Horsby 4 Wheel Diesel - Ex Burscough Brick & Tile Co, Burscough
Built in 1951, by Ruston & Hornsby of Lincoln, this 13 Horsepower locomotive originally workd at Hobs Morris , Craig-y-Nos Quarry, Breconshire, and then later with Burscough Brick & Tile Company at Burscoiugh, Lancashire. It was acquired by the West Lancs Light Railway in April 1968 and has remained part of their collection.
This locomotive is in working order
'TAWD' - Ruston & Hornsby 4 Wheel Diesel - Ex Burscough Brick & Tile Co, Burscough
Built in 1943, by Ruston & Hornsby of Lincoln, this 20 Horsepower locomotive, the most popular size pruduced by Ruston's, was originally built for the Ministry of Defence , (Loco No HL6187). It later passed to Buscough Brick & Tile Company, Burscough, Lancashire. It was acquired by the West Lancashire Light Railway in February 1969 and has remained part of their collection.
This loco is in working order
'BRADFIELD' - F C Hibberd Ltd - 4 Wheel Petrol Locomotive - Ex Sheffield Waterworks, Lower Bradfield
This locomotive was originally built by Motor Rail, as a Bow framed petrol locomotive circa 1918 , as part of locos produced for the First World War. It was later acquired by F C Hibberd & Co who re-engineered the locomotive , including the fitting of plate frames, and added their own works plate.
It was then sold to Sheffield Corportaion Waterworks for use at Lower Bradfiield works, until the railway system fell into disuse. It was acquired for preservaton in November 1970 by the West Lancashire Light Railway and has remained part of their collection since.
This locomotive is complete, but not in running order, and is currently awaiting some mechanical work to bring it into full working order.